Countdown

Tuesday 3 July 2012

The Bridesmaid

So tonight I am not going to post from the point of view of the bride but instead a bridesmaid. One of my best friends is getting married in December and I am lucky enough to be one of her bridesmaids, and I am extremely excited about it. I also have another couple of weddings coming up in the next 18 months or where I get to be maid of honour and bridesmaid. Life is good and I love my friends.

So as a bridesmaid for this wedding, which is now only 5 months away!!! So dam exciting! What have I done so far as a bridesmaid? I have come to the rescue at the engagement party when some shit hit the fan, well a hairstyle was bust and we managed to get it fixed and perfect before it was too late.

As well as this we have had a few sit down chats about what/when/where and organising dates for shopping dates, dress fittings etc. I am loving every second of it. The other week we trekked down to Chadstone shopping centre and found our lovely bridesmaid jewellery and shoes, checked out some lingerie, discussed hairstyles, and just had an all round good day. The best part of being a bridesmaid is definitely getting to be a part of my best friends big day from start to end.

We have also picked the dresses and purchased them and booked in for a day of dress fitting! Our lovely bride already has her stunning dress aswell which means most of her fine details have been tuned now.

I've also loved the expo's and discussions, granted I do get something out of them too.

So what should you expect if you accept the honour of being a bridesmaid:

The Cost Factor- Be prepared to buy the dress, shoes, jewellery and pay for your own hair and make-up, as this is traditionally how it is done. Some brides will pay for all of this however. There is also the showers, the hens nights, the kitchen tea, some brides may choose all or none of these.

The Time factor- You have to be ready and willing to give up your weekend time to go to fittings, trials, expos, and sometimes these can take a bit of time.

The Honesty factor- You have to feel comfortable in letting your bride know you don't feel comfortable in the dress/shoes or anything she has chosen, garunteed she wants you to feel great on the big day too, you also have to be honest enough to say whether or not you like her choice of dress, just remember its her opinion in the end, so even if you have reasons for liking another better, it doesnt mean she will. Friends can agree to disagree.

The smile factor- no matter how much you might dislike flowers, table settings, cake, menus, make-up. shoes, or whatever it might be, smile through it for your bride. This is a massive part of her day, even though if it doesn't seem like it. Smiling always makes you feel better so the time goes faster.
ENJOY!!! - If you don't think you'll enjoy walking down the aisle, standing in front of people, possibly making a speech, wearing a particular dress, going to expos, whatever it might be. Discuss it with your bride before you give an answer, that way you both have expectations from one another and hopefully it'll run smoothly, I'll give you the tip, if you don't like weddings dont agree to be part of one, just go for the free food and drinks I say.

So what do I think of being a bridesmaid? I love it, I love every bit of it, but I am a planner, I live to organise and I love helping people, so this suits me down to a tee. Most of all I love that I get to stand up there when my friend or friends make one of the most amazing memories of there life! I say bring on the weddings!!! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment