Countdown

Monday 2 July 2012

The Final Cut

Well I am up bright and early for the start of a new week. Today is my first official day on my own in the new role, I am hoping I go ok and nothing bad happens to start off the week, so I can settle in nicely and get on top of the work that needs to be caught up on.

As for wedding planning this week, there isn't a lot that needs to be done, the focus at the moment is paying off the Honeymoon and adjusting the guest list as needed. The Guest List has to be one of the most tiring and painstaking part of the wedding.

Its very hard on knowing where to draw the line, should it be people you haven't spoken to in 6 months get the cut? People you work with? Family? Cousins? Honestly I don't think there is a rule that would apply to every couple on how they should cut down and decide upon there final guest list.

As a general rule after doing some research on the matter it seems like 10-20% of guests can often decline a wedding invite, this comes down to a number of reasons I guess, work committments, some people simply don't like weddings, already have events in place, concerts, sports matches etc all can be booked months in advance before a wedding invitation comes there way.

Anyways we have a list of 101 people at this stage, so if 10% were unable to come, that would leave us around the 90 people mark which is about what we want so I am not going to complain about that. However its the actual list that bothers me...

Over the past few months I have recieved some texts from friends who have asked when the wedding will be so they can save the date, however I am unsure on whether some of these people will even be invited. Not because they have done anything wrong, or because I hold anything against them, but simply because I want a small wedding with friends that I see all the time, and people who I know will always be in my life.

The next problem is plus ones and dates etc. This is the killer, the boyfriends and girlfriends of friends that I have never met or only met once. Its a tough one, because I know I wouldn't really like to be invited to a wedding where my man wasn't invited but from our perspective, we have to pay $90 per person on this day, and it's hard to justify cutting someone we both know well for someones partner who one of us may never have even met.

I guess the guest list is a very political part of the wedding, and everyone is going to have there own opinions on what is the right thing to do and what is the wrong thing to do. I am particularly sensetive to hurting peoples feelings, or making them feel uncomfortable so this is an aspect of the wedding that I am going to have to be 100% about come November. I am also going to have to grow a thick skin because I am sure some people won't be very happy if they don't recieve and invite. However I am going to try and stick to gut feelings when it comes to things, and my advice is to remember that its not about what others think and its about what you and the groom want.

No comments:

Post a Comment