Countdown

Monday 21 May 2012

Ring, Ring

Is it just me or do wedding rings not quite have the same stigma as the engagement ring? Now-a-days most brides will have a diamond encrusted ring either white or yellow gold, usually matching a stunning engagement ring, but how often when someone says they have just gotten married do you turn around and say OMG show me the wedding ring!! Maybe its just me? But it's something I have never asked anyone :s

Things are changing with the new crew of brides to be, especially when it comes to engagement rings. No longer do brides opt for the standard solitaire yellow gold set, the numbers are increasingly leaning to white gold these days, with more and more going the princess or alternatively shaped cuts. Also the more popular and money concious choice to to buy the wedding ring/engagement ring set at the time. Now I know most women are thinking, as if the man will think of that? Well I got to pick my ring, and not even I thought of that!! Anyways, we spent a reasonable amount on my engagement ring at 3k, reasonable for us anyways, I know people who have spent as little as $50 and up to $25k. So I am pretty happy with mine, especially since I got it on special, marked down from $5k. To me anyways, it isn't about the clarity or cut, its about the reason why the ring was purchased. Because of love... and no Im not saying that someone who has a beautiful 300k ring is being showy, I'm just saying whether it is a burger ring or Kim K's engagement ring, it all came with the same thought? Hmm maybe Kim K wasn't the best example haha!



Anyways I have taken this same tack with buying my wedding ring, the local jeweller had a sale on, and I thought I might go have a look, see what they had, and if anything would suit, and I saw it there, perfectly inligned with diamonds in my engagement ring, 50% off! Then and there I knew that was the wedding ring, this jeweller also did not try and say, its only $300 you should spend more on your wedding ring, they said how lovely it suited, didn't try to upsell and I got my wedding ring for $150! Stoked.

On this same day I also picked out Darrens ring, he isnt going to wear his ring other than on the day, so we chose a ring worth $50 for him, something that will last long enough to pass down to our children should we ever have any. So all in all, both wedding rings $200! I am so happy with it, but how am I meant to last another 10 months without wearing it??

So what do you all think about hubby to be not wanting to wear a ring? Is this something you would be disappointed about? Not worried either way? I guess its not that important in my view, as I know he has never wanted to wear jewellery of any kind, not even a watch, but then I read an article last week about a lady in India divorcing her hubby cos he didn't update his facebook status. What do you think about that one?

1 comment:

  1. That lady who divorced her husband for not updating his Facebook status is a bit exaggerated. Regarding your concern, I think it’d be best if you’ll be blunt to your husband-to-be. Maybe he just doesn’t want to wear it because he sees that you’re not making a big deal out of it. Be clear about how you feel, and tell him it’d mean a lot to you if he’d wear the symbol of your love for one another.

    Bridget Rossi

    ReplyDelete