Countdown

Monday 19 December 2011

The Proposal

Sorry for the lack of posting the last couple days. It was one busy weekend this weekend, lots on and lots to do. Just one week left until christmas and our christmas shopping is complete! This week I just have to make chocolate ripple cake and all will be well! This weekend also brought my first shift at Planet Surf. It was fun to work in such a relaxed and fun environment, having a chat with people and hearing there christmas shopping stories. I think I am going to enjoy this for the next month or so!

Anyways I have been blogging now for a little while and I still havent told the proposal story, so I do think its about time...Now our proposal wasn't a massive deal, no ring at the bottom of a champagne glass, probably because I don't really drink the stuff, no ring hidden in a piece of cake, now this is probably because I down cake so quickly that I would most likely swallow the thing and not notice, it also didn't happen on a holiday, or a birthday or any special days. This is because thats just not our style. We are pretty relaxed people, and for about the last 5 years, all we have heard, are you gonna get married? when are you getting engaged? are you going to say yes? will you have kids? And to be completely honest I hadn't thought about any of it. I was happy with Daz so it didn't matter if I had a diamond on my hand or not, I was pretty happy with the $50 ring he had bought me back in Year 11...

We had been talking about getting married for a little while, especially with buying a house together and about to move in. We knew we were going to be together, so on the night of August 13th 2011, when we were lying in Daz's bedroom listening to a match of AFL on the radio, to us it set the perfect scene. Because as most of you would know, my life does revolve around the football. Daz put his arm around me, leant in and said, I think its time to get you a ring...no cliche' down on one knee, because hey why would I wanna do what everyone else does? People may think my story isn't as romantic as others, but to me how it happened was absolutely perfect!

So we decided to wait until we got the ring before telling anybody... so off we went Saturday morning, we chose the perfect ring together, a moment we will never forget! Then we headed home and preceeded to tell close friends and family, and then by about 7 o'clock that night, it was time to "confirm" and make the facebook relationship change, because hey everyone knows it's not official until it's on facebook. We headed to our favourite restaurant, Thai of course and had a wonderful night!

The thing I love about preoposal stories is that every single one is different, I love hearing the surprise stories, the holiday stories, the anniversaries, the birthdays, and thats what makes an engagement so special to each couple! I like to think back to the movie Bride Wars, two girls played by Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaways' character was sitting on the couch, not expecting anything when her boyfriend proposed, where as Kate pushed the engagement out of her boyfriend after she was snooping and found the ring hidden in a closet. Yes maybe this isn't real life, but neither of those girls were disappointed on the way the proposal, because that's not the part that matters.

What matters is that you have found your best friend, that you want to share all the highs and lows with for the rest of your life, not about the size of the diamond, or even the white dress, and I think sometimes people do need to remember that!

No comments:

Post a Comment